About Me

My photo
Life's what you make it.

Saturday 3 December 2011

Oxygen deficiency

I have been thinking today about how my life has changed over the past 7 years. I say 7 because that incorporates the time when I was at my biggest and most unhappy.

Existing took effort back then, now I can move around, go up and downstairs and not even notice it but I could not do that before. I had to build up the motivation to go to the kitchen, go take a bath, go fix dinner. Everything took a huge amount of effort.

Unfortunately I have started to experience those unmotivational feelings again but, this time, there is a different reason. Since I lost the weight, I have developed iron deficient anaemia. My doctor is not too certain what is causing it but my energy levels have been non existent over the past 6 weeks. My ferrous levels fluctuate, sometimes I can go for several months with no ill effect but others, I am wiped out. The doctor has questioned whether it could be diet related but, overall, my diet is ok.
 I had a blood test 2 weeks ago and it came back confirming that my anaemia is as bad as it has ever been. I sleep at any given opportunity and could quite happily stay in bed all day. My head is fuzzy, my attention span compromised frequently and I have a tendency to get quite low. I am still exercising but the sessions are fraught with frustration as my muscles ache quickly and my overall performance is a shadow of it's former glory.  These symptoms are all part and parcel of the condition. I can't help but question whether I have been anaemic for longer than I realise. I demand a lot from my body physically. As a result, I think the lack lustre tiredness is more acute. Before, I put my constant tiredness down to my weight.

Anaemia is a horrible condition, essentially your oxygen carrying red blood cells are unable to transport the oxygen needed to keep you fully alert and energised. I am on high dose iron tablets for 3 months and have adopted a wheat free diet as wheat can inhibit the bodies ability to absorb nutrients.

All in all, I am shattered at the moment. I think this highlights how important it is to look after yourself. Weight loss is not just about dropping fat, it is about improving your overall health. A balanced, nutrient rich diet can work wonders. 

R xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try eating RAW pumpkin seeds. The shells have been removed.

You can find them at the health food stores. They are loaded with the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Just eat 2 tablespoons every day.
They will help your energy return.

Search for "pumpkin seed remedy" in the internet. They have been used for 10,000 years by Native Americans.
I keep mine in the refrigerator.

Rainy said...

Hi there, many thanks for the suggestion I will certainly give them a go and let you know. I can imagine that they would compliment a salad so I might get creative :)