About Me

My photo
Life's what you make it.

Friday 20 January 2012

HEALTH - something we take for granted too often

Hello everyone! How has the beginning of 2012 been for you all? I have not posted on my blog for a couple of weeks and feel in the writing mood this Friday evening so thought I would recommence my ramblings.

I am currently lying in bed feeling rather sorry for myself. I have been blighted by a succession of bacterial infections over the past 5 weeks. It started with a nasty throat that then progressed to tonsillitis over Christmas (fantastic timing!)
 I then recovered from that (with the assistance of antibiotics) and was well for a few days before contracting a bladder infection. A weeks worth of yet more antibiotics and normal health resumed despite being over whelmed by  man made remedies. No sooner had I got over the bladder infection when I contracted a nasty cold that has since developed into muscle aching, head pounding flu. To say I am fed up is a massive understatement. What with my battle to recover from anaemia (which I believe has probably suppressed my immunity to some degree) my body has been
battling for weeks! No wonder I feel shattered, flat and drained. I know we all get bouts of ill health and ordinarily, my body does a great job of avoiding infection but not this time. I guess it has brought into sharp focus how vulnerable we can be. I
know that January is notorious as a time of year where winter has a firm grip, daylight hours are short and darkness is long, viruses are rife and people are on the come down from the frivolities of the festive period.

I have taken some time  to evaluate my diet and lifestyle to try and identify where I am letting myself down physically. There are most definitely improvements to be made, namely cutting out the junk food and replacing with immune boosting fruit and veg. Despite all I have been through to lose the weight and get fit, I still let myself down at times with my diet. I place much of the blame at work (although lack of will power is the real reason ;).) We have a tuck shop that provides discount prices on chocolate, crisps and naughty treats. It is all too tempting to dig my hand in my pocket and indulge in the calorific snacks. I know this is no excuse but I get home at night and often cannot be bothered to cook a proper dinner. Being the single lady that I am right now (again, no excuse) I will often make do with a quick meal such as scrambled eggs, soup or salad. They sound ok on the face of it but I need to make a concerted effort to prepare more nourishing, filling meals. I don't smoke, my alcohol consumption is minimal most of the time so the improvements are not vast. I think it is very easy for us to take our eyes off the ball and our bodies soon let us know about it. 

Health is so important, when we are sick we realise how good it feels to be well. I lie here right now and wish the bacteria that are currently running riot will bid a hasty retreat. For them to do that, I have to give my body a fighting chance so I have made s promise to me. Cut the crap, increase the good foods and remind myself that this is the only body I have, abusing it will only end in me suffering.

Look after yourselves, cherish your biological being. 

Rainy xx

5 comments:

Janet S. said...

Lol! Hi Rainy, when I read 'Jackie' I thought you were talking to someone else! I just now realized it was me you were addressing! I'm still laughing!
Yes, well, Janet here, to say that the raw and cooked veg week was AWESOME! Never felt so great in me life! That said, I tried to add protein in the form of homemade bean soup (its so freaking COLD right now!) And it was I think too much carb. It brought on major carb crave, which led to breads, which led to...erm...cookies and other bads. So, I am today RE-beginning the raw and cooked veg with just fish and eggs for protein (no beans for now), keeping carbs low. I was shocked that even after the 3 week bender (which is my main PROBLEM: benders) that I had only gained 4 kilos. I was sure it would have been at least 8. My "bender-ing" is why I have come to follow your blog, because your journey inspires me that it CAN be done!!!!
Janet S.

Janet S. said...

By the way, I'm sorry to hear you have been unwell. Perhaps you may be over exercising? Also, if you have a tough work schedule, you simply need more sleep. I had a bout with UTI's myself, having one every 3 weeks till the doc said 'no more anti's!'. So, I started to use cranberry tablets (I get the kind with Baku and Nettle, seems to work best). I took 2 tabs every 2 hour with a ton of water, and I got rid of it entirely with in 24 hours. Cranberry seems to be a natural anti-biotic. I now take two before bed and they have never returned. That was a year ago. It also seems to have boosted my ability to fight other infections such as mastitus. I hope you are feeling better!
Janet S.

Janet S. said...

Oops, edit:the cranberry has 'Buchu Leaf', not Baku. That's what I get for not wearing my glasses!
J.S.

Rainy said...

Janet hi :) I am so sorry I have not responded sooner to you and I am blushing that I called you Jackie!

How are you doing? Are you still trying out the raw fruit and veg? How is the weight loss going?

I am glad to say that I am much better now, December to February was rough with illness I now think my immune system was suppressed from the tonsillitis before Xmas. That took me out big time. Lots of antibiotics later and no booze (Xmas is terrible for the ethanol poison!) and my health is on an even keel again. The iron tablets are really kicking in now and I find myself not wanting to go to bed when I get in from work. You might notice my new post, relating to the marathon I have signed up for.

It is imperative that I look after my body now so I am trying to do just that.

The cranberry is very good for UTI's isn't it...I have not heard of Baku?

I hope this belated scribe finds you well :)

L xx

Rainy said...

edit: or buchu! Now where are MY glasses ;) x