About Me

My photo
Life's what you make it.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

Dating; an unnatural but necessary function

Following on from my rather serious yet frank last post , I happened across a spontaneous date last night. This chap is from my online pursuit, internet dating  is alive and well. We have been in contact for a couple of weeks now and randomly suggested meeting. Cool! I don't do planning so,  already, brownie points totting up with a 'ding ding!'
He has proven himself by writing some well constructed, interesting sentences so I was more than happy to meet up. Considering that 99.9% of the messages I receive on there contain 2 or 3 words of a non extensive repertoire such as , 'hi gorgeous' or  'how are you?' , the boy did good.

Interestingly, he referred to me as brave for meeting him in the pub. I found this statement insightful and pointed out to him that I did not see it as brave. I suppose, on reflection, he was probably insinuating that he could be any type of lunatic, which is fair point but then I also pointed out that I had a machete in the boot and pepper spray in my pocket!!!!

Dating is rather fascinating to me, we decided willingly to meet a complete stranger at a neutral location, with the sole purpose of scoping them out for potential partnerdom. An interesting social experiment don't you think? It invariably follows a similar path, each date plays out similarly in
many ways. You harbour a certain amount of nerves leading up to the date itself, a multitude of questions darting around your head, 'will I fancy them?', 'will they bore the crap out of me?', 'How do I get out of it if I decide not to stay?' 

Normally it is good to have a friend on stand by, just in case they are required to make an urgent phone call to you.  I also have an application on my phone that rings it, an auto generated voice will then sound out , pregnant pauses available for me to interject as if I am holding a conversation with someone. Only flaw with that one is that it is an American app and so  a) sounds cheesy b)fake c) it sounds like a scape goat app on my phone!!

Luckily last night, there was no requirement for any get out clause. Phew! We had a nice chat after any initial awkwardness which is inevitable.
There was a couple sitting near us, being all smoochy and I was mindful of the fact that it was fairly plain to see that this chap and I had never met before. I bet they twigged that we had met in cyber space, funny :)

So just a short one but my Monday evening was certainly more varied than normal.

Just for the record, I will be seeing aforementioned date again :)

R xx

2 comments:

Estival said...

Hey I like your blog and started following today! I too struggle with weight issues and I'm going the surgical route. My blog www.starlitsummer.org

Rainy said...

Hi there, I will definitely check your blog out. I will be interested to hear how you get on, when is your surgery scheduled? x